These parents came very close to real tragedy. On the advice of their chiropractor, parents gave their babies a different brand of vitamin D. That’s what they thought the dosage of the drug was similar to before.
However, they got it wrong, and this mistake nearly killed their baby. In fact, after a while, the infant began to feel uncomfortable. His parents then took him to the emergency room, where they aware of their mistake.
A vitamin D dosing error
Alicia’s baby, just 6 months old, take regularly Vitamin D. First her parents gave her ZymaD. However, because the supplement was causing their colic, they turned to their chiropractor for advice.
Vitamin D: Beware of the risk of overdose in children, a mother testifies https://t.co/QcX3eHrWJv pic.twitter.com/p8PQPdlwju
— Femina.fr (@Femina_fr) July 27, 2022
The specialist advised them to try another drug. She also told them to be careful because even a small mistake could happen dangerous Of the child. Alicia and her spouse followed his advice. They searched the internet and came across Sunday Natural.
The drug’s contraction seemed to match that of ZymaD because the label said so “10,000 IU”. So they bought it. Unfortunately, what they didn’t know was that it existed a little difference. Sunday Natural’s “10,000 IU” dosage is not equivalent to one milliliter like ZymaD.
It corresponds to one drop. Alicia and her partner couldn’t know because the box was in German and neither of them didn’t know the language. They then gave their child vitamin D, unaware that it would harm his health.
Vitamin D: side effects
After a few days, Alicia notices that her baby is not going well. He stops gaining weight and finds it difficult to get on his stomach. Not knowing what to do, the mother and her husband take her to a doctor. Only then do they realize their mistake.
The doctors told them that the baby suffers from nephrocalcinosis associated with vitamin D overdose. Had they delayed investigating with him, things could have ended very badly.
“We almost lost him. (…) If we put it soberly, we tell ourselves that we almost killed our baby. This prospect haunts me more than guilt,” Alicia regrets.
What she went through affected Alicia a lot. Because of this experience, she now wishes Inform as many parents as possible. Especially given the risk associated with vitamin D overdose.
Adopting the right reflexes
Parents should provide their infant with sufficient vitamin D. And this in order to avoid diseases like rickets. Indeed, an adequately supplemented baby rarely encounters growth problemse. This explains why pediatricians prescribe vitamin D from the first days of the child.
In addition, ANSES urges parents to be vigilant about the risks associated with a Vitamin D overdose. Indeed, if the dietary supplement is not adjusted, it can lead to serious health problems. As was the case with Alicia’s baby.
In order to raise the awareness of as many people as possible, ANSES then issued a warning on July 25, 2022. He shared some tips for parents on proper vitamin D dosages. Here’s what the agency recommends:
- Consult a doctor before giving vitamin D to infants
- Do not change the dosage unless directed by a doctor
- Always be careful when giving vitamin D to the baby
- Avoid giving the infant multiple products that contain vitamin D
According to ANSES it is better prefer drugs to dietary supplements. The reason is that they guarantee “clear information regarding doses, precautions for use (…) and overdose”.
⚠️ Risk of overdose #Vitamin D in children.
We remember our recos:
✅ Prefer medication to dietary supplements,
✅ control the administered doses,
❎ Do not multiply products containing vitamin D.
More information: https://t.co/J6ovGuyTMe https://t.co/fiHjmqfAe6
— Anses (@Anses_fr) July 25, 2022
Note that in 2021 several cases of hypercalcemia in infants have been reported. Consider taking dietary supplements rich in vitamin D. This prompted ANSES to raise awareness among young parents.
#Great #horror #infants #vitamin #overdose #lost